Apr 14, 2014

A great weekend

Last week I finally submitted my application to foster a dog, I've been meaning to do so for over 4 months, but last week the rescue I follow needed an urgent foster for a baby girl that was coming out of the pound, I submitted my paperwork, they did a home visit and everything seem to fall into place, unfortunately last minute the pound adopted her out so no dog in my house.

I can't lie I was a bit sad and disappointed, but low and behold South Florida does have a real dog problem, and by Friday there was another bullie in the shelter; I received an email early morning saying this one was being picked up later in the afternoon and he was headed to my house.

You can't imagine just how excited I was, words can't describe the warmth I felt in my heart, it was just too much, and it all happened to soon. The volunteer that transported him (bless her) dropped him at my house around 6 on Friday, and my heart was shattered into a million pieces when I saw the condition in which the pound found this boy, he was infested with ticks, his nose dry and falling apart, his nails overgrown (I'm sure it makes it very uncomfortable to walk), dirty as can be, to the point where he smelled really bad, and the papers said he has a ear infection, conjunctivitis, skin rash, a tumor on his leg and possibly kennel cough.

I gave him a bath right away, got all the gunk and ticks out (he did give me a couple of kisses in the process), put some Vaseline on his nose, and gave him a belly rub; he is such a good sport, he is already on antibiotics and seems to be doing better, his nose has almost completely healed by now, and there are no more awful ticks or foul smells (except for your normal Bulldog fart). He has been eating his food like a good boy and takes his pills with a bit of peanut butter, he appears to be housebroken, as we haven't had any accidents, and he just follows me around everywhere and sleeps most of the time.

He has to be quarantined for 2 weeks before he sees the rescue vet (to avoid spreading the kennel cough), the girls from the rescue are sending me an ointment for his ear, and I hope by the time he sees the vet the only thing he'll have left will be the mass on his leg.

This is something I always new I wanted to do, my little contribution, but I never even imagined for a second how it would feel, I had already promised myself that I would never buy I dog, that I would adopt from a rescue, but at least for now I think that I will try and foster for as long as I can. Just giving this little munchkin everything that he needs feels great, and seeing how much he has improved in just 3 days it's amazing.








Pants: Marshalls (Teal cords) / Top: Express / Sandals: Nine West  (Flower flip flops) / Purse: Fossil (Color-block cross body) / Watch: Michael Kors round gold watch / Sunnies: J-lo at Marshalls / Necklace & Earrings: Emma & Sophia





Now on to this outfit, I wore it Thursday, when I was supposed to get the other bullie, I needed something comfortable and a purse that was out of the way in case I needed to carry something; after I got the news I decided to stop by this park close to my house and try a new place for pictures, I loved it, it is so nice (minus the broken bench), there are people fishing and there is a little playground for kids, so it's also family friendly. I have to admit I like going to new places for the pictures (I still feel weird doing it in front of other people, but I'm sure it will get better with time.

So after all that, how was your weekend?

Linking with Carylee, GinaMollyLauren and Elena



14 comments:

  1. Love that necklace!!!

    xoxo, Tara
    www.pookasfamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous necklace

    http://www.cindyslittleblackbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome what you are doing to help out these helpless animals! Love your jewelry!

    Lindsey
    Thrift and Shout

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful!! Love the color of those pants! Perfect with that necklace!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pants are a beautiful colour . Great outfit :)
    Hugs Beata

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, that is so sweet of you to take on a sick foster dog like that! It sounds like a LOT of work!! I totally admire your compassion for animals. And I love your black and green combination. I wanted green pants for spring but haven't found any so at this point I'll probably just skip and start looking for green shorts for summer!
    Gina
    On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a good boy, after the bath he is doing much better, he takes all his meds with peanut butter, so no issue there, and he is house broken, so that is a blessing :)

      I've had this pants since forever, and I almost lost my mind deciding what to wear on St Paddy, I guess I really should pay more attention to my closet, but I have to admit green shorts sound pretty tempting, now Express has to bring it on :)

      Delete
  7. I love this story! Love love love it! Nothing breaks my heart more than unwanted, sad animals. Our beagle was adopted from a high kill shelter. To this day she still has trust issues but at the same time, she's a completely different dog than when we first got her. We didn't hear a sound out of her for about 3 weeks! Like I said, she still freaks herself out with just about everything, but she's the sweetest, happiest dog, and I can't imagine what she went through. So yay for you for having the heart and patience to give your foster dog(s) a second chance at how life should be for them! <3 Thanks for sharing this story with manic monday!! Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute outfit!! I love the lace top and the green pants. And nice view to boot! xo

    Loving your blog! Would you be interested in connecting via GFC or social media? Let me know: http://www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you!! That is so incredible what you are doing. Great outfit, too!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how excited I am, it is one of the best things I have ever done :)

      Delete
  10. Great look! I LOVE those accessories! They are to die for! You really know how to accessories an outfit!

    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome accessories! I wouldn't have thought of them for day, great idea!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete